Phone: +47 22 00 47 60 /
Political scientist specializing on international climate negotiations
My research is focused on key actors in international climate negotiations, and in particular the role of the United States. The participation of the United States in international climate cooperation has for years been limited by the political infeasibility of a comprehensive domestic climate policy. I study the drivers and barriers for change in US domestic climate policy .
- Member of Jonas Gahr Støre/the Norwegian Labour Party’s Climate Change Panel, 2014-present.
- Member of Expert Panel evaluating Swedish research in the areas of the environment, agricultural sciences and building and planning research (FORMAS), 2015 – present.
- Editorial Board member, Climate Policy (Taylor&Francis), 2012-present.
- Member of the Norwegian Delegation to the UNFCCC’s 16th Conference of the Parties, December 2010. Member of the Norwegian Delegation to the UNFCCC’s 15th Conference of the Parties, December 2009. Board Member, Nordic International Studies Association, 2009-2013
- Committee Member, Oslo Center for Interdisciplinary Environmental and Social Science Research’s Academic Steering Committee, 2009-present.
- Steering Committee Member, MILEN, the University of Oslo’s interfaculty research area on environmental change and sustainable energy, 2010- 2013.
- Editorial Board Member, KLIMA Magazine, 2008-2011
- Centre for International Climate and Energy Policy (CICEP) CICEP is one of three centres for social science based research on environment-friendly energy established by the Research Council of Norway in 2011.
- Politically Feasible Renewable Energy Development: The Role of Public Acceptance. The over-arching task of this project is to study the political feasibility of the low carbon energy policy transition initiated by the EU. In order to adopt and implement efficient policies at the regional, national and local level, public acceptance for policy change will be crucial.
- Designing Effective Emissions Trading: The Contribution of International Diffusion (ETS-DIFFUSION) ETS-DIFFUSION focuses on emissions trading, a key instrument for reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions that has gained increasing attention and weight in recent years.
- ETS - Diffusion Designing Effective Emissions Trading: The Contribution of International Diffusion (ETS-DIFFUSION) – Project collaboration with Fridtjof Nansen Intitute
- Integration of Power Transmission Grids The primary objective of this project is to generate new knowledge about the institutional, technological, and economical, challenges related to the transformation of transmission power grids across Europe to make way for greater energy systems integration that, in turn, can facilitate longterm, sustainable restructuring of European countries' energy systems, efficient use of renewable energy sources, power system flexibility, and further increasing the shares of renewable energy. This new knowledge is useful for informing decision makers in policy and industry in a time of farreaching change in European power systems.
- From emission to extraction: The political economy of leaving fossil fuels in the ground Identifying options for institutional change at the international level that could govern the transition away from fossil fuels.
- India in a globalizing world India's climate and energy policy strategy in a globalizing world: Changing global structures and international cooperation (INDGLOB)
- Analyse af de nordiske landes klimalovgivning og klimatiltag
Publications and outreach at CICERO
- Guri Bang, Jon Hovi, Tora Skodvin, 2016 The Paris Agreement: Short-term and Long-term Effectiveness Politics and Governance, cogitatiopress, EN
- Anne Therese Gullberg, Guri Bang, 2015 Look to Sweden: The making of a new renewable energy support scheme in Norway Scandinavian Political Studies, Blackwell Publishers, EN
- P Ding, MD Gerst, Guri Bang, Mark Borsuk, 2015 An application of automated mediation to international climate treaty negotiation Group Decision and Negotiation, Springer Science+Business Media B.V., EN
- Guri Bang, 2015 Internasjonale klimaforhandlinger: Nøkkelaktører og Norges handlingsrom Internasjonal Politikk, Norsk Utenrikspolitisk Institutt, NO
- Tora Skodvin, Guri Bang, 2014 Nasjonale drivkrefter i USAs klimapolitikk Internasjonal Politikk, Norsk Utenrikspolitisk Institutt, NB
- Jon Birger Skjærseth, Guri Bang, Miranda A. Schreurs, 2013 Explaining growing climate policy differences between the European Union and the United States Global Environmental Politics, MIT Press, EN
- Guri Bang, Jon Hovi, Detlef F. Sprinz, 2012 US presidents and the failure to ratify multilateral environmental agreements Climate Policy, Elsevier Science, EN
- Jon Hovi, Detlef F. Sprinz, Guri Bang, 2012 Why the United States did not become a party to the Kyoto Protocol: German, Norwegian, and US perspectives European Journal of International Relations, Sage Science Press, EN
- Guri Bang, 2011 Signed but Not Ratified: Limits to US Participation in International Environmental Agreements Review of Policy Research, EN
- Guri Bang, 2010 Energy security and climate change concerns: Triggers for energy policy change in the United States? Energy Policy, Elsevier Science, EN
- Jon Hovi, Camilla Bretteville Froyn, Guri Bang, 2007 Enforcing the Kyoto Protocol: can punitive consequences restore compliance? Review of International Studies, Cambridge University Press, EN
- Steinar E Andresen, Guri Bang, Andreas Tjernshaugen, 2005 Future US climate policy: International reengagement International Studies Perspectives, EN
- Solveig Aamodt, Stine Aakre, Anne Therese Gullberg, Guri Bang, Hans Asbjørn Aaheim, Solveig Glomsrød, Hege Westskog, Arild Underdal, 2015 Geopolitiske virkninger av lavutslippssamfunnet NO
Conference contribution or scholarly presentation
- Guri Bang, Steffen Kallbekken, 2016 USA og Parisavtalen NO
- Guri Bang, 2016 Challenges for transforming the Norwegian oil industry. EN
- Guri Bang, 2016 The Paris Agreement and U.S. Climate Policy EN
- Guri Bang, 2016 Utfordringer for norsk oljeindustri i lys av Parisavtalen NO
- Guri Bang, 2015 Norway's challenge: Leaving oil and gas in the ground EN
- Guri Bang, 2015 Nøkkelaktører i klimaforhandlingene NO
- Guri Bang, 2015 The domestic politics of global climate change EN
- Guri Bang, 2014 The German Energiewende from the Nordic perspective: Conflicts and potentials for cross-border co-operation EN
- Guri Bang, 2014 International climate agreements EN
- Guri Bang, 2014 Norway’s potential contribution to the European energy transition NB
- Guri Bang, 2014 Norway: Oil-rich strong democracy EN
- Guri Bang, 2014 IPCC WGIII AR5: Noen konklusjoner NO
- Guri Bang, 2014 International climate agreements EN
- Guri Bang, 2014 Explaining Growing Climate Policy Differences Between the European Union and the United States EN
- Guri Bang, Jon Birger Skjærseth, 2012 Understanding Growing Climate Policy Differences in the EU and the United States: Scientific knowledge meets governance systems EN
- Underdal Arild, Guri Bang, Steinar Andresen, 2012 One Size Fits All? Understanding the Domestic Politics of Global Climate Change EN
- Guri Bang, 2012 The United States: Key actor in international climate negotiations EN