Telefon: +47 22 00 47 39 /
I am a Geo-ecologist (MSc) and specialized in analyses of climate extremes in climate models (PhD, IMPRS ESM, Hamburg).
I study various factors that can drive changes in climate extremes, such as climate variability and anthropogenic factors (e.g., greenhouse gases and air pollution). I strive for interdisciplinary approaches and better integration of natural and social sciences. Particularly, I am interested in relating physical aspects of climate extremes to socioeconomic impacts and questions related to adaptation and decision making.
- Contributing Author to IPCC AR5 WG1, Chapters 9 and 12
- Invited expert to the Expert Team on Climate Change Detection and Indices (ETCCDI)
- Expert member of the WMO CCl Task Team on Tailored Climate Information (TT-TCI)
- Co-lead WCRP Grand Challenges on Climate Extremes (GC Extremes)
Selected past events:
IPCC Workshop on Regional Climate Projections and their Use in Impacts and Risk Analysis Studies" (São José dos Campos, Brazil, 2015), Report
Workshop on Understanding, Modeling and Predicting Climate Extremes (Oslo, October 5-7, 2015), Report
Extreme Events and Environments -E3S Future Earth workshop (Berlin, 2016)
13th International Meeting on Statistical Climatology (13IMSC)
FutureEarth-PROVIA-IPCC Workshop on Risk and Solutions (Stockholm, 2016)
Session on "Climate extremes and their implications in impact modelling studies", AGU Fall meeting 2016, San Francisco, USA (December 2016)
- Natural and Anthropogenic influence onPrecipitation and EXtreme events NAPEX skal utdype forståelsen av nedbør og ekstremnedbørsendringer fra ulike driver av klimaendringer.
- SIS Future Africa - Co-production of climate services in South Africa and Tanzania The core idea of this project is the production of climate information through the co-production of climate services. However, the type of and need for climate information depend very much on the location, sector and livelihood of People.
- ClimateXL Weather and climate extremes are likely to be one of the largest societal challenges associated with climate change in this century. Under climate change, these extreme events will intensify and become more frequent, and consequently the risk of severe and costly damage for humans and infrastructure will increase.
- HYPRE - HYdropower and PREcipitation trends Investigating historical and future precipitation trends in regions important for hydropower production
Translating Weather Extremes into the Future – a case for Norway
TWEX-Fremtiden i Norge baserer seg på en “historien om framtiden” metode. Denne metoden vil kunne vise at et scenario tilpasset en bestemt region og bestemte aktører i kombinasjon med en rekke klima- og værmodeller vil kunne gi et mer realistisk bilde av hvordan været vil se ut i fremtiden i akkurat dette området. Med bedre analyser om ekstemvær kan man forebygge og planlegge beredskapen på en bedre måte enn i dag.
- CiXPAG - Interaction of Climate Extremes, Air Pollution and Agro-ecosystems Future food production, and consequently food security, is very sensitive to both climate change and air pollution. So far, little is known about how climate extremes and ozone pollution interact to affect agriculture or about the relative effectiveness of climate change adaptation and ozone regulation measures for various crops and regions.
- SUPER - SUb-daily Precipitation Extremes in highly-populated Regions The main objective of SUPER is to quantify the influence of anthropogenic activity on sub-daily extreme precipitation in highly populated regions
Publikasjoner og formidling ved CICERO
- Kirien Whan, Francis W. Zwiers, Jana Sillmann, 2016 The influence of atmospheric blocking on extreme winter minimum temperatures in North America Journal of Climate, American Meteorological Society, EN
- Noelia Otero, Jana Sillmann, Jordan Schnell, Henning W. Rust, Tim Butler, 2016 Synoptic and meteorological drivers of extreme ozone concentrations over Europe Environmental Research Letters, EN
- Christoph Schaer, Nikolina Ban, Erich M. Fischer, Jan Rajczak, Juerg Schmidli, Christoph Frei, Filippo Giorgi, Thomas R. Karl, Elisabeth J. Kendon, Albert M. G. Klein Tank, Paul A. O'Gorman, Jana Sillmann, Xuebin Zhang, Francis W. Zwiers, 2016 Percentile indices for assessing changes in heavy precipitation events Climatic Change, Kluwer Academic Publishers, EN
- S. Russo, Andrea Marchese, Jana Sillmann, Giuseppina Immé, 2016 When will unusual heat waves become normal in a warming Africa? Environmental Research Letters, EN
- Øivind Hodnebrog, Gunnar Myhre, Piers M. Forster, Jana Sillmann, Bjørn Hallvard Samset, 2016 Local biomass burning is a dominant cause of the observed precipitation reduction in southern Africa Nature Communications, EN
- Gunnar Myhre, Piers M. Forster, Bjørn Hallvard Samset, Øivind Hodnebrog, Jana Sillmann, Siv Gundrosen Aalbergsjø, Timothy Andrews, Olivier Boucher, G. Fulavegi, Dagmar Fläschner, Trond Iversen, Matthew Kasoar, V Kharin, Alf Kirkevåg, Jean-Francois Lamarque, Dirk Jan Leo Oliviè, Thomas Benjamin Richardson, Drew Shindell, Keith P. Shine, Camilla Weum Stjern, Toshihiko Takemura, Apostolos Voulgarakis, Francis W. Zwiers, 2016 PDRMIP: A Precipitation Driver and Response Model Intercomparison Project, Protocol and preliminary results Bulletin of The American Meteorological Society - (BAMS), American Meteorological Society, EN
- S. Russo, Jana Sillmann, Erich M. Fischer, 2015 Top ten European heatwaves since 1950 and their occurrence in the coming decades Environmental Research Letters, EN
- Ben Kravitz, Alan Robock, Simone Tilmes, Olivier Boucher, Jason. M. English, Peter J. Irvine, Andy Jones, Mark G. Lawrence, Michael MacCracken, Helene Østlie Muri, John C. Moore, Ulrike Niemeier, Steven J. Phipps, Jana Sillmann, Trude Storelvmo, Hailong Wang, Shingo Watanabe, 2015 The Geoengineering Model Intercomparison Project Phase 6 (GeoMIP6): Simulation design and preliminary results Geoscientific Model Development, Copernicus GmbH, EN
- Ben Kravitz, Alan Robock, Simone Tilmes, Olivier Boucher, Jason. M. English, Peter J. Irvine, Andy Jones, Mark Lawrence, Mike MacCracken, Helene Østlie Muri, John C. Moore, Ulrike Niemeier, Steven J. Phipps, Jana Sillmann, Trude Storelvmo, Hailong Wang, Shingo Watanabe, 2015 The Geoengineering Model Intercomparison Project Phase 6 (GeoMIP6): simulation design and preliminary results Geoscientific Model Development Discussions, Copernicus GmbH, EN
- Jana Sillmann, Timothy M. Lenton, Anders Levermann, Konrad Ott, Mike Hulme, François Benduhn, Joshua B. Horton, 2015 Climate emergencies do not justify engineering the climate Nature Climate Change, EN
- Charles L. Curry, Jana Sillmann, David Bronaugh, Kari Alterskjær, Jason N.S. Cole, Duoying Ji, Ben Kravitz, Jon Egill Kristjansson, John C. Moore, Helene Østlie Muri, Ulrike Niemeier, Alan Robock, Simone Tilmes, Shuting Yang, 2014 A multimodel examination of climate Extremes in an idealized geoengineering experiment Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres, American Geophysical Union (AGU), EN
- Thordis Linda Thorarinsdottir, Jana Sillmann, R Benestad, 2014 Studying statistical methodology in climate research: Stats + climate workshop; Oslo, Norway, 11-13 November 2013 EOS : Transactions, American Geophysical Union, EN
- M Donat, S. Wild, L. Alexander, T. Lippmann, Jana Sillmann, Francis W. Zwiers, 2014 Consistency of temperature and precipitation extremes across various global gridded in situ and reanalysis data sets Journal of Climate, American Meteorological Society, EN
- Jana Sillmann, M. G. Donat, J. C. Fyfe, Francis W. Zwiers, 2014 Observed and simulated temperature extremes during the recent warming hiatus Environmental Research Letters, EN
- S. Russo, A. Dosio, Rune Graversen, Jana Sillmann, H. Carrao, M.B. Dunbar, Andrew B. Singleton, P. Montagna, P. Barbosa, Jürgen V. Vogt, 2014 Magnitude of extreme heat waves in present climate and their projection in a warming world Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmospheres, American Geophysical Union (AGU), EN
- Jana Sillmann, Maalak Kallache, Mischa Croci-Maspoli, Richard W. Katz, 2011 Extreme cold winter temperatures in Europe under the influence of North Atlantic atmospheric blocking Journal of Climate, American Meteorological Society, EN
- Jana Sillmann, Mischa Croci-Maspoli, 2009 Present and future atmospheric blocking and its impact on European mean and extreme climate Geophysical Research Letters, American Geophysical Union, EN
- Jana Sillmann, Erich Roeckner, 2008 Indices for extreme events in projections of anthropogenic climate change Climatic Change, Kluwer Academic Publishers, EN
- Jana Sillmann, 2009 Extreme climate events and Euro-Atlantic atmospheric blocking in present and future climate model simulations EN
- Erich Roeckner, Guy P. Brasseur, Marco A. Giorgetta, Daniela Jacob, Johann H. Jungclaus, Christian Reick, Jana Sillmann, 2006 Climate projections of the 21st century EN